May 14, 2012 3:04 am
- "Someone left because her boss lost the dog she had given him."
- "Our employee said he was joining the circus."
- "One person left because she lost her cellphone too many times at work."
- "We had someone quit to participate in a reality show."
- "An employee said it was his routine to change jobs every six months."
Some individuals simply had to follow their true calling:
- "One worker left to become an apple farmer."
- "A staff member quit to climb Mount Everest."
- "There was an individual who left to play the trombone."
- "An employee wanted to enter a beauty contest."
- "One worker quit to join a rock band."
- "A guy said he was making too much money and didn't feel he was worth it."
- "One person left because she didn't want to work so hard."
- "An individual said he was bored."
- "Someone quit because she was going to live off her trust fund."
- "An employee said work was getting in the way of having fun."
- "A person quit because informal dress was not allowed."
- "The worker told us he just couldn't get up in the morning."
- Give proper notice. Tell your boss about your departure first so he or she doesn't hear it through the grapevine. Providing two weeks notice is standard, but if your schedule is flexible, offer to stay longer to train a replacement.
- Get things in order. Supply written instructions to team members on projects and make sure they have access to the tools and information needed to complete assignments.
- Stay positive. Take the time to say goodbye and thank you to colleagues. Provide your contact information and reach out to those with whom you'd like to keep in touch.
- Don't slack off. Use your last weeks on the job to complete as much work as possible on outstanding projects. You want to be remembered as a strong contributor to the end.
- Talk before you walk. Participate in an exit interview if it's offered. Be honest with your feedback, but keep it constructive and professional. Your comments and suggestions could potentially help to improve the workplace.
Published with permission from RISMedia.