February 4, 2013 2:30 am
The Window Covering Safety Council wishes you a very Happy Valentine's Day and would like to provide a few tips to help parents practice window cord safety and continue to keep their little loved ones safe.
• Install only cordless window coverings in homes with young children. Replace window blinds, corded shades and draperies manufactured before 2001 with today's safer products.
• Move all cribs, beds, chairs, furniture and toys away from windows and window cords, preferably to another wall.
• Make sure cribs are properly assembled and meet current safety standards, and that crib mattresses fit snugly.
• Remove crib toys with cords, strings and ties, which can present a strangulation hazard.
• Keep all window pull cords and inner lift cords out of the reach of children. Make sure that tasseled pull cords are short and continuous-loop cords are permanently anchored to the floor or wall. Make sure cord stops are properly installed and adjusted to limit movement of inner lift cords.
• Lock cords into position whenever horizontal blinds or shades are lowered, including when they come to rest on a windowsill.
• Support heavy furniture by using wall-angle brackets or anchors to make sure they are secure.
• Set up blockades around fireplaces, ovens, heaters and stairs.
Source: The Window Covering Safety Council
Published with permission from RISMedia.