While it may seem like a home fire will never happen to you, it's important to be prepared should the unthinkable occur. Of course there are things you can do in advance, like making copies of all important documents and keeping them elsewhere, like a storage unit, in-laws' home, or even the office. But how about in case of an actual fire emergency? Below are a handful of fire safety tips from Domino's Pizza and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA):
· Draw a map of your home with all members of your household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
· Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
· Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can't help them.
· Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
· Close doors behind you as you leave—this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
· Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.
Sources: Domino's Pizza and NFPA
Published with permission from RISMedia.